Thursday, November 28, 2013







Tapenade. Not my favourite word, Tapenade.

And it has a reputation of being a bit la-di-da.

A long time ago, I tried store-bought, black olive tapenade.

Bleh.

I like green olives much more anyway.

Then I found a recipe by Eugenia Bone from her book, Well-Preserved.

I read how simple it is to make Green Olive Tapenade in a food processor.

I adapted the recipe to what I had. My can of green olives was nothing fancy, but I had the power of fresh herbs. And sea salt. And Fresh Ontario garlic. Plus a bright yellow lemon. Yellow lemon yellow lemon...

It is time to rid the reputation!

Green Olive Puree (ok, fine, “tapenade”) is an excellent base for pizza. I recently put a dollop in Jamie Oliver’s Superb Squash Soup and it was heavenly. I used it to top large croutons with Parmesan and served them as yummy appetizers.  Here are even more brilliant ideas, the first from Ms. Eugenia herself, check it out:



So here is my easy recipe for a top-notch, green olive (insert unfavourable word here).


Top-Notch Tapenade

1 can pitted green olives, drained
2 tsp drained capers
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
3 Tbsp olive oil, or more to taste
2 Tbsp fried sage leaves (about 6)
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
2 Tbsp fresh parsley
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp sea salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
½ tsp paprika


Place all ingredients in a food processor. Grind to a paste. Place in a small clean mason jar and put just enough olive oil to cover the top. Cover and refrigerate up to 1 week. Add more olive oil if needed.


© 2013 jordanabananabakes.blogspot.ca



© 2013 jordanabananabakes.blogspot.ca




© 2013 jordanabananabakes.blogspot.ca




© 2013 jordanabananabakes.blogspot.ca




© 2013 jordanabananabakes.blogspot.ca






No comments:

Post a Comment